A spirit free taste of the tropics? That’s Nautical Nonsense!
Made by Jena Ellenwood
Craving a zero proof cocktail that’s a vacation in a glass? Here’s a recipe that works just as well without spirits as it does with rum! I created this mocktail version of a tropical tipple for my cousin’s wedding, inspired by her love of Mai Tai’s and desire to have a zero proof option (I added the coconut water for extra hydration). Shrubs are a great way of preserving fruit and also adding a little bite to spirit free cocktails!
If you love this cocktail, check out our full cocktail library or our YouTube Craft Cocktail Making playlist for home mixology lessons as you make your drink. Explore our favorite spirit free cocktail books in our bookshop!
Let’s Get Shakin’
Special Tools: Jigger, Shakers, Measuring Spoons, Knife, Sauce Pan, Strainer, Measuring Cup
1 oz Pineapple Shrub
1 oz Pineapple Juice
2 oz Coconut Water
Make Pineapple Shrub ahead of time:
- 1 large pineapple, cubed (roughly 4 cups, may substitute frozen)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 4-1⁄4 inch pieces peeled ginger root
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- Cook pineapple, sugar, and spices on medium heat until sugar bubbles and pineapple is caramelized.
- Add water and bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in vinegar and remove from heat. Allow to marinate overnight in fridge. Strain and store in fridge up to a month. Side note: the pineapple pieces are delicious!
*Divide the recipe in half if you would like to make a smaller batch/ or scale up to make more!
- Combine shrub, pineapple juice, and coconut water in a shaker
- Add ice and shake!
- Strain over ice in a rocks glass and garnish with a pineapple leaf. Enjoy your zero proof taste of the tropics!
Cocktail flavor profile
Let me know what you discover, or if you would have rated it differently in the comments below…