Tom Khacktail—Our Thai Spin on Coconut Rum Cocktails
Made by Evan Rothrock
First of all, can we get some props for this cute cocktail name?! Thank you. Thank you very much. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way…this coconut rum cocktail was inspired by the Rum Haven. It inspired us because it’s Caribbean rum with coconut liqueur and coconut water. Um, yum! It’s like Malibu all grown up and way better! So we were immediately inspired to take a little staycation through our cocktail and Evan came up with this genius drink, further inspired by my love of Tom Kha soup. Lemongrass, thai chilis, coconut, lime and a nice little egg froth to give it some texture makes for the perfect tropical vacation at home. Get out those bikinis Tippler Nation!
Let’s Get Shakin’
Special Tools: Muddler, Fine mesh strainer
2 oz Coconut Rum Haven
1 egg white
½ oz fresh squeezed lime juice
¼ oz simple syrup
1 tsp minced lemongrass
¼ tsp minced Thai red chile (or more if you like spicier drinks)
Dash of coconut oil
Wedge of lime, thinly sliced lemongrass, and thinly sliced chile to garnish
1. Add lime juice, lemongrass, and chile to the shaker.
2. Muddle gently then add the remaining ingredients.
3. Dry shake vigorously for about one minute (yay arm workout!) to get a good frothy foam.
4. Open shaker, add ice, and shake again for 10 seconds.
5. Double strain with fine mesh strainger into a glass. This is important to remove the lemongrass and Thai chili pieces.
6. Garnish as desired, take a sip, and be transported to the islands of Thailand.
Unlike any past coconut rum cocktails you’ve ever had… We promise!
But will I like it?
Cocktail flavor profile
Getting to know your palate, what you like, and what you don’t like is a critical part of being a great craft tippler AND key to becoming a great home bartender as well!
So before you break out that barware and buy the key ingredients, here’s a little guidance on what to expect from this cocktail so you can start to hone in on exactly what elements of cocktails you enjoy and which you’d prefer to minimize. This helps you order new cocktails you love when you’re out on the town better as well!
- Sweet 55% 55%
- Sour 75% 75%
- Spiritous 30% 30%
- Refreshing 60% 60%
- Complex/Funky/Unique 80% 80%
Let me know what you discover, or if you would have rated it differently in the comments below…