A spooky good cocktail for Halloween season
Made by Suzanne and Evan
The Poisoned Apple is a classic whiskey sour, with a autumnal twist. This cocktail recipe combines the sweetness of a brown sugar bourbon and tartness of apple cider and citrus to bring you the perfect fall sipper.
We would highly advise a vigorous dry shake (step 2) and double straining with a fine mesh strainer. This creates a dense foam that lasts longer and makes the stenciled image clearer.
Charcoal is great for your Halloween stencil, but you can repurpose this cocktail throughout the holidays. Use cinnamon with a Thanksgiving stencil and nutmeg with a Christmas one!
If you love this cocktail, check out all three of our Hocus Pocus inspired Halloween cocktails, our full library of cocktails or our Craft Cocktail Making playlist on YouTube.
Let’s Get Shakin’
Special Tools: Cocktail Shaker, Strainer, Fine Mesh Strainer, Stencil, Dusting Wand
1/2 oz lemon juice
1 egg white or 1/2 oz aquafaba
2 oz Brown Sugar Bourbon
1/2 oz hard apple cider
Activated charcoal tablets (optional)
- Add the lemon juice, egg white (or aquafaba), and bourbon to the cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously without ice for 45 seconds.
- Add ice, secure top on tightly, and shake for another 10 seconds.
- Strain into coupe or martini glass (double strain through a mesh strainer if available).
- Add a splash of cider to the shaker and give 3-4 gentle shakes and strain once more into the cocktail to get all the foamy goodness.
- Empty activated charcoal capsules into your dusting wand.
- Hold stencil over the cocktail as close as possible without touching foam.
- Sprinkle activated charcoal over the stencil to imprint your design.
Cocktail flavor profile
Let me know what you discover, or if you would have rated it differently in the comments below…