Hot Buttered Rum
Made by Suzanne Henricksen
Evan introduced me to this absolute best hot buttered rum recipe (ever!) a few years ago and I’ve been hooked ever since. If you’ve never had hot buttered rum it’s a simple mixture of batter, rum and hot water. Viola! You have yourself a creamy, tasty treat to warm you up as we all endure the rest of this frigid winter!
The recipe below makes a big batch, but it keeps in your freezer for months…and we tend to find ourselves dipping into it a few times a week (?!) but feel free to cut in half if you don’t want too much temptation around! Yes, it’s that good!
Let’s Get Stirrin’
Special Tools: None
2oz aged or dark rum, we like Wright & Brown’s Barrel Aged Rum
2 TBS (or more!) Hot Buttered Rum Batter (see below)
Boiling water to fill the rest of the cup
- Put batter into a coffee cup
- Add rum, top with boiling water
- Add more batter or rum to fit your taste preferences.
- Add some whipped cream on top if you’re feeling extra indulgent or a cinnamon stick if you’re feeling fancy.
- Stir, sit back, throw on that cheesy holiday movie, and enjoy the best hot buttered rum ever!
Best Hot Buttered Rum Batter Ingredients
1/2 lb. unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 qt. vanilla ice cream (softened)
1/2 lb. light brown sugar
1/2 lb. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Dash of ground ginger
- Once butter and ice cream are softened (and I mean melty soft), mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Transfer to a container to put in the freezer until the batter firms up (but it will always stay soft enough to scoop).
But will I like it?
Cocktail flavor profile
Getting to know your palate, what you like, and what you don’t like is a critical part of being a great craft tippler AND key to becoming a great home bartender as well!
So before you break out that barware and buy the key ingredients, here’s a little guidance on what to expect from this cocktail so you can start to hone in on exactly what elements of cocktails you enjoy and which you’d prefer to minimize. This helps you order new cocktails you love when you’re out on the town better as well!
- Sweet 85% 85%
- Sour 5% 5%
- Spiritous 35% 35%
- Refreshing 10% 10%
- Complex/Funky/Unique 50% 50%
Let me know what you discover, or if you would have rated it differently in the comments below…